Njinga Collective 2018
Are you looking for a cycling community that really wants to make a difference to your cycling? You’ve tried many ‘cycling clubs’ to no avail and are still in search of the ultimate cycling experience that is fun and social, (yet challenging at times) in order to get the best out of you. Our Njinga Collective rideouts are all about team spirit and improving your confidence and performance on the bike!
When you ride with the Collective, you ride with friends and fellow riders who share the same passion and love for cycling as you do! We have created an incredible community of riders, the camaraderie and spirit at The Njinga Collective is unique and like no other team or organisation.
Fancy joining our cycling community? Sign up now.
- 4 x rideouts a month - 2 are ride captain supported and the other 2 are training rides.
- The 2 rideouts a month that will be led by our highly experienced Njinga Ride Captains are Challenge/Touring rides. The Challenge rides will be around 80km in length and will include a pre-set route into the Surrey Hills, with predetermined "challenge segments" allowing riders to set their own personal records if they choose. There will also be 2 touring rides throughout the year...Our annual ride down to Brighton and also a ride to Kent to the Kelly Holmes Cafe.
- There will also be 2 training rideouts a month. There will be no Njinga Ride Captains on these rides but instead you will be able to ride with fellow Njinga Collective cyclists. Njinga kit is not compulsory on these and a repository of routes with GPX files will be available online. You will be able to ride the route seleted by us or another route with your fellow riders. As you start riding you will make friends and its these friends that you will ride with on training rides.
- After the success of our Mbidzi group last season, it will be returning for the 2018 season. These rides will take place on the same dates but will be slightly shorter in length; starting from around 40km and progressing each week. These rides are great to nuture and support our development Collective riders to help increase confidence when riding on the road.
- Rideouts will take place on Saturdays with a 8am meet at Barge Walk (Opposite the Njinga Lab).
- The Collective season will start on Saturday 7th April and the last ride will take place on the Saturday 27th October.
We will have 4 different group speeds on each of the Ride Captain led rideouts. They will be:
Group 1: Kalulu – The Hare (average 16mph).
Group 2: Mkango – The Lion (average 15mph).
Group 3: Njati - The Buffalo (average 14mph).
Group 4: Mbidzi - The Zebra (Average 12-13mph).
Please note you must be able to ride a little faster on the flats.
RIDEOUT DATES/CALENDAR OF KEY EVENTS:
Saturday 7th April - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 14th April - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 21st April - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 28th April - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 5th May - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 12th May - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 19th May - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 26th May - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 2nd June - Collective "Training" Ride
Sunday 3rd June - Tour of Cambridgeshire Sportive and Race (Keen to get as many Njinga riders participating as possible)
Saturday 9th June - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 16th June - Collective "Training Ride
Saturday 23rd June - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 30th June - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 7th July - Collective Kent Ride (Ride Captain Support) - Ride out to Kelly Holmes cafe in Kent and back (option to come back via train)
Saturday 14th July - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 21st July - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support) - Followed by our Annual Njinga Bake Off at The Lab.
Saturday 28th July - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 4th August - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 11th August - Collective Brighton Ride (Ride Captain Support) - Annual Touring Ride to Brighton for lunch and then get the train back.
Saturday 18th August - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 25th August - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 1st September - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 8th September - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 15th September - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 22nd September - Velo South Sportive
Saturday 29th September - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 6th October - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 13th October - Collective Challenge Ride (Ride Captain Support)
Saturday 20th October - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 27th October - Collective "Training" Ride
Saturday 24th November - Annual Njinga Awards Night (Drinks, Dinner and a Band)
Saturday 1st December - 6th Annual Njinga Santa Charity Cycle in aid of Shooting Star Chase Children's Hospice - Stay afterwards for drinks and a live band.
We will also be organising team social nights out across the season. Watch out each month for our team socials which will include dinners, drinks and other fun social outings away from bikes and lycra.
SIGNING UP FOR A RIDE:
- Rides can be booked 10 days in advance. Spaces are limited per ride so make sure you book in advance.
- Bookings must be made by Friday 8am if you plan to attend the ride on Saturday.
- If you turn up on the day without signing up we cannot guarantee you a ride.
- Cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to the Rideout if not a small £10 donation to our preferred charity of Shooting Stars Chase Children’s Hospice is to be paid here.
WHAT OUR RIDERS HAVE TO SAY:
“I've thoroughly enjoyed riding with the Collective this year and I hope that Njinga continues to maintain the same inclusive and encouraging spirit that differentiated it from other cycling clubs. It's been a real pleasure being part of it, spending every Saturday morning on the bike with a friendly, supportive & fun bunch of people.” Niamh McDonnell
“I have been a cyclist for years and love it. But...since starting at Njinga my enjoyment, my ability my fitness and the whole cycling world has got better and better. The place and team are genuinely friendly, incredibly well informed and expert trainers.” Rich Porter
“Thanks for a brilliant year guys - keep up the good work!” Lisa Cafferky
“1st year with the Collective. Loved the riding & the feel of the group - thank you!” Jerry Collier
Our 2018 annual membership fee for the season will be as follows:
- Full Season (April through 31st Oct): £85pp
- Half Season (16th July through 31st Oct): £65pp
Fancy a FREE taster session before signing up? Simply contact us at the lab to organise a session for you to experience the Collective before joining.
WHATS INCLUDED IN MEMBERSHIP FEES:
- 2 x Njinga ride Captain led rides a month
- 2 x Training rides a month
- Access to a repository of GPX routes for the training rides
- Personalised bike and helmet stickers with your name on (for all of those who register before 3rd April only - After this date we can't guarantee the stickers will be personalised.)
- Njinga Membership Card
- 2 x Njinga Water Bottles
- Access to purchase Njinga Collective cycling kit ( jersey is compulsory)
- Free Njinga lab group class credit for new customers
- £10 off your first pack of 10 classes at the Njinga lab
- Preferential partner discounts for all Njinga Collective riders
- Free drink and snacks at the Njinga Annual Awards
Join us for our outdoor riding season today. Sign up now.